churches

 

  • This archetypal medieval church is set in the heart of the village. It abuts a clearly later square tower (1633) topped by a good spire and on the south side a chapel, refashioned in 1621...
  • A 14th/15th century building with very good furnishings. 15th century Rood Screen and pews,17th century three decker pulpit, 18th century box pews. The stained glass dates from the mid...
  • Rebuilt entirely by the squireson, the Rev Richard Thomas Pulteney Pulteney (1811-1874) in 1867 to the design of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott at a cost of £2,000. Splendid Victorian interior...
  • This sumptuous tractarian church was erected in 1848 through their munificence, designed by John Macduff Derick and was further enhanced by Sir Ninian Comper, c. 1900 – reredos 1897...
  • This pleasantly remote church stands at the end of a short walk shaded by ancient trees, with the vestiges of the 18th century mansion of the O’Brien family to your left. Beyond it’...
  • A Norman church largely rebuilt in the fourteenth century. Still with a good Norman font with intertwined monsters, fish and seemingly incongruously a cross. A medallion containing the...
  • One of the most important examples of Anglo Saxon in Britain – certainly the largest. The church dates from the late 8th /early 9th century. A basilica with a semi circular apse (originally...
  • A 13th century church considerably extended in the 14th century in the perpendicular style. Restored in 1870 by Slater and Carpenter with pew ends carved by the then incumbent, the Revd...
  • The Church which lies adjacent to the House but which it antedates by some 400 years. It must have been used by the Bishops of Coventry whose seat this was before the advent of the Comptons...
  • Few Northampton residents know that the town has a Cathedral ! The Grade II building on Barrack Road is the “mother church” of the Catholic Diocese of Northampton, which includes Beds...
  • One of the most rewarding of the county’s churches to visit all be it that it is best to arrive accompanied by a passenger otherwise you have to deal with the gated road from the village...
  • The tall Saxon tower is the oldest part of this church, which was rebuilt in the 16th century and then again, rather enthusiastically, in the mid 19th century. The latter was undertaken...
  • St Peter and St Paul’s Parish Church There has been a place of worship on this site for at least a thousand years, although like all English parish churches Cosgrove Church has been altered...
  • Originally a Norman church (west door) with a wide tall chancel added in 1338 when a college here was founded by John Giffard, Canon of York. It seems to have been the largest private collegiate...
  • Externally a particularly handsome medieval church with full square tower with fine double bell openings – all dating from circa 1300. The interior therefore comes as a surprise being...
  • The remarkable feature of this church is the series of 14th century wall paintings which were discovered almost a century ago by Professor Ernest Tristram, the authority on such works and...
  • A quintessential country church standing alongside the village street from where you can look out across country that rolls away to the southern county border. Whilst the exterior is an...
  • The market town of Daventry blossomed in the 18th century, it’s economy benefitting from the increase in coaching traffic which was diverted here off the London to Dublin road (Watling...
  • Like the Royal Mausoleum at Frogmore St Peter’s is a magnificent mid 19th century memorial church: here to the memory of that famous Crimean soldier General James Brudenell, 7th Earl...
  • The church forms part of an ensemble with Dingley Hall (built by Edward Griffin 1558 – 60 and partly remodelled his descendent Sir Edward Griffin in the 1680’s) and Henry Hakewill’...
  • The village gained it’s aristocratic name by virtue of it’s late Saxon owner Waltheof whom married William the Conqueror’s niece Judith and was created 1st Earl of Northampton. His...
  • Church rebuilt in Decorated Gothick style by the architect John Wing the younger for Sir John Palmer Bt. in 1788. Broad T plan with Palmer memorial chapel and vestry in the arms of the...
  • The building is early 14th century with a slightly later tower and then restored by Lord Alwyne Compton who on this occasion employed William Slater. Having visited Castle Ashby Lord Alwyne...
  • St Mary’s Church is all that remains of the Medieval village of Easton Neston when, following the enclosure of the land, the village was transferred to Hulcote. The church stands adjacent...
  • However you reach it Edgecote feels removed from daily life – out of time. Down a lane you encounter the balanced composition of church & rectory, Manor House, stables & dovecote, all...
  • The setting of the church a little way from the village, remains untouched by the 20th and 21st centuries. It is at the south end of the village adjacent to Eydon Hall, a Grade 1 neo-classical...
  • A romantic church that stands alone, shorn of it’s former medieval village, looking out across the Capability Brown landscape of 1760’s toward Fawsley Hall, the seat of the...
  • A Royal church with yet further royal associations: a very significant victim of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The village, Manor , and church had been royal property since the Conquest...
  • This remote church at the most southern point of the county is beguilingly set at the end of a long tree lined lane which is well indicated by a brown sign off the main Northampton / Milton...
  • A late 13th/early 14th century gothic church with interventions in the 18th century – the pulpit, and in the 19th century – stained glass. On the outside huge grotesque gargoyles,...
  • The church dates from circa 1300 but it is the intervention of the Spencer family of nearby Althorp that transform the Medieval building. Sir John Spencer (d. 1522) rebuilt the chancel...
  • The medieval church has a fine west tower circa 1500. Internally restored by William Slater in 1859/60 (he was born in the village ) and later the chancel more elaborately by F. Butler...
  • The church owes it’s grandeur to the fact that the town was, and still is part of the Duchy of Lancaster. The fascinating ancillary buildings – Bede House, the college and the...
  • The medieval church here was re built in 1874 for Richard Naylor to designs by J.K. Colling which resulted in the most lavish 19th century church interiors in Northamptonshire. The architect...
  • All Saints and Saint James Church stands on an imposing site with the east wall of the chancel facing Hall Yard. The present rectory is a fine Georgian building which was formerly a mill...
  • Whilst the tower is medieval the church was so re built in the 17th and 18th century and that is it’s overriding appearance. The vestry though was added by Bodley, 1879. Internally the...
  • Of early medieval origin but almost entirely rebuilt during 15th century and especially fine example of Perpendicular architecture, most notably its splendid lantern tower. From the former...
  • The Victorian church par excellence in the south part of the diocese. Giles Gilbert Scott was appointed by the Rev. W. C. Buckley in the early 1860’s to restore this church to an...
  • At All Saints you encounter a “Wren“ city church in the provinces of the highest quality. In 1675 Northampton’s principal medieval church was burnt down leaving just it’s 13th century...
  • St Giles is an Anglican Church offering lively worship, bible teaching and a real sense of community. Our style is quite informal and modern. We have around 240 people on our electoral...
  • The creation of this outstanding late Victorian gothic church was made possible by it’s patron the local brewer Pickering Phipps, the local architect Matthew Henry Holding and it...
  • The church is now looked after by The Churches Conservation Trust. One of the best Norman Churches in Britain. It’s sophistication in design and ornament is a reflection of the national...
  • From the outside the church initially presents itself as a confident 19th century re build of a medieval foundation. This is the outcome of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s restoration of the...
  • A large 14th /15th century church with a slightly earlier tower impressively placed at the edge of the village near the former Norton Hall formerly a seat of the Knightley family...
  • It is not known when Oundle School was founded but it was re-endowed in 1556 by William Laxton, Master of The Grocers’ Company and Lord Mayor of London. In 1923, the Chapel was consecrated...
  • It is not only the rare dedication to St Guthlac (hermit saint of Croyland in the fens - 677 -714 ) which is unusual but also the church itself. Here amongst these remote water meadows...
  • This remote church, attached to the small hamlet of Plumpton which lies between Weedon Lois and Blakesley, was rebuilt by the local significant landowner, Jesus College Oxford in the 1820...
  • The church stands on rising ground above the main road. The first thing you see is the great west end tower, richly ornamented, with spire above (the latter replaced in 1821 after a fire...
  • The medieval church was destroyed during the siege of Rockingham Castle in the civil war as was the village that then surrounded it. The present building is on the same site and largely...
  • There are two reasons for visiting Rothwell - The Church of the Holy Trinity and the Market House. The church was large, even in Norman times and grew from the 14th century onwards. It...
  • The church stands at the highest point of the village and dates from the 12th / 13th century. It was largely built under the auspices of the Lucy family whose crest of three pike can be...
  • The tower is well buttressed and unusually decorated. The first is accounted for by the susceptibility of the earth to subside on account of the Romans extracting iron stone from the vicinity...
  • This particularly fine church was built during the first half of the 14th century and there have been little alterations since then. It gives a very good impression of English gothic architecture...
  • Set in the gardens of Steane Park this is a rare church built in the gothic style in 1620. Whereas Tom Tower in Oxford can be seen as Wren’s essay in Gothic Revival, Steane is one of...
  • The decline in the parish population from the late medieval period led to the demolition of the early parish church in 1722. In it’s place a fine early Georgian church was erected to...
  • Externally it is the late 15th century tower that grabs one’s attention. It was built by Lord Lovel, Lord Chamberlain to Richard lll. It is by far and away the most impressive in the...
  • In the mid 18th century the medieval church was radically altered as it took on the mantle of the mausoleum of the Dukes of Montagu of nearby Boughton House. This had only slight effect...
  • The church is a sole survivor of a complex of medieval and Jacobean buildings which constituted first Warkworth Castle and from the 17th century a large Jacobean house. In 1805 the...
  • One of the few late-19th century Catholic churches in Northants: Grade II listed. “The church is distinguished by some highly original details, and has a largely intact and lavishly finished...
  • A thrilling experience: Sir Ninian Comper’s masterpiece built between 1908 and 1930. It is a free essay in the gothic style fearlessly mixed with classical appropriations. Externally...
  • A remarkably fine perpendicular church built to the orders of one man, Anthony Catesby ( 1500 – 1554) of the significant Northamptonshire Catholic family whose main seat was at Ashby...

Your login details have been used by another user or machine. Login details can only be used once at any one time so you have therefore automatically been logged out. Please contact your sites administrator if you believe this other user or machine has unauthorised access.